On Thursday April 8, 2010, the Brewers Association Export Development Program at the Craft Brewers Conference in Chicago, will be hosting 3 seminars in Parlor C at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers in downtown Chicago.
Seminar Topics: British Columbia, China Market and the Spanish Market
Opportunities for U.S. Craft Beer in British Columbia
Bill Michael, Category Manager Beer, British Columbia Liquor Distribution Board Canada/British Columbia
1:45 pm - 2:45 pm, Parlor C
Bill will discuss British Columbia's Liquor Distribution Board's interest in specialty beers, his experience with American craft beer, his thoughts on trends in the Canadian (BC specific) retail trade in terms of specialty beer sales and consumption as well as future plans by the BC LDB for American Craft Beer.
The China Market, American Craft Beer & the U.S. Department of Agriculture
William W. Westman, American Meat Institute
3:00 pm - 4:00 pm, Parlor C
Bill Westman assesses a huge untapped beer market. China's market is the largest in the world in terms of production volume worth $132 billion in 2008 sales. In 2010, imported lager is projected to be 23 million liters valued at $230 million, expected to increase 3.5% annually.
Bill will touch on:
- China's economic growth and rising disposable incomes have driven the consumer foodservice market, as well as the development of bars and pubs in major cities. The brewpub is still a relatively new concept in China.
- Beer and ale with unique flavors and tastes are gaining popularity among the rapidly expanding middle-class.
- Imported beer sales are tiny compared with domestic sales, however with a population of 1.3 billion, the market is promising.
Spain and American Craft Beer
Robert Merryman/Grup Gálvez/Condal Chef S.L.
4:15 pm - 5:15 pm, Parlor C
Robert Merryman discusses the current situation in the growing Spanish craft beer market and the future.
- Learn about the Spanish market and its potential.
- See the role of American craft beer in the beer revolution.
- Find out how the company Condal Chef sells beer in a traditionally wine, mixed drink, and premium lager market.
For more information visit the Craft Brewers Conference website.
We look forward to seeing you in Chicago for the Craft Brewers Conference!